Pages

DRUMMING SINGING STORY TELLING

 


CONSOLING COMMUNITY 


I woke up to an autumn-like morning and laid as calmly and as peacefully as the clouds above and the mist below; together we laid out our plans for the day feeling relaxed, curious and ready.


Every day is special and every day is what we make of it, but this day included a new spice — an unknown.  Those of you who know me well, know that unknowns scare me, perplex me, freeze me; but, this unknown was different.


I used to be really good at avoiding unknowns whether it was new people, new foods, new ways of doing things or new places to go. But, since retiring seven years ago, my path, my pleasures, and my passions have changed and I often feel I am riding high on fresh air rather than the other stuff that some people use! I have retired the old ways and am embracing new ways, and this chapter is bringing me, my heart and soul, much joy and happiness.


So, on this day, August 13, 2024, I was on the traditional territory of the Katzie First Nation and the Kwantlen First Nation. I attended, by invitation, an indigenous community drumming, singing and storytelling gathering at the local Fraser River Indigenous Society garden in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.


This was a sacred and ceremonial event that included the pleasure of the Facilitator and Knowledge Keeper named Saquilty — his English name is Jonathan.  Saquilty spoke passionately about his heritage and culture. He proudly acknowledged the presence of his two parents and other family in attendance. He spoke of his life challenges and those of his family, friends and neighbours. In between his stories, we all held drums or rattles, to join in the chorus of the songs he was singing.


The drum that was handed to me at first, to me, was just another drum from the box. As I confidently held it appropriately in my left hand, and held the ‘Trommelstok’ in my right, I looked down and heard a quiet inside voice direct me to one particular flower etched on to the deer skin drum surface.  


I sat down briefly to figure out if I was delusional or receiving a special message from above. It was both eerie and weird, and I was tempted to stand up, interrupt the presentation and share my exciting revelation. That element of innate shyness within me stopped me and I decided I would wait to just write about it later. 


For those of you wondering what I am talking about,  Tulip is my soulmate and buddy; hers is a pseudonym I use in my writing as a way to honour her and reward her. She helps me notice things, remember things, create things, ask questions, answer questions and problem solve. She is the human equivalent of best friend. I hold her in very high esteem, and there she is at that moment in time, implanted on the drum in front of me! Not only that but the drum is designed by BLUE SKY -- and near blue sky is where I like to be most of all! So, understandably that moment in that day, stunned me! But, I digress. I do want to add one more thing:


[At the time, I did catch myself looking up at my section of SkyWorld, the place where I house the spirits of significant people who have gone before me, and sent a quick wink to the one I know nudged me to notice the TULIP etched on the skin.  “Thank you Edith, you are still so very good at noticing things!”]


Following Saquilty’s introduction and explanation of what was to come, the traditional components of a gathering included an opening prayer in an indigenous language, a song to help cleanse or unload the body, heart and soul of their sadness, worries and concerns. This gave people an opportunity to open up and put forward personal needs for healing and request reconciliation to help them move forward, and appreciate the here and now. 


This was followed by more stories and more singing and drumming, giving people a chance to express gratitude for their honours and privileges, their work, health, homes, family and friends; and, realizing the importance of reminding ourselves to be mindful of people who are suffering or struggling with hurting hearts, bodies and souls. We heard some stories of sadness and grief, and we heard some people cry — at which point Saquilty said ‘when the earth cries, we should cry too. A good cry is very healing’. 


To bring it all together, we were all asked to take a small bundle of sage wrapped in red cloth, and hold it in our hands as we reflect on things that have been said and on things we needed to get out of ourselves. Indigenous beliefs attest that sage will hold on to all of that information and then when you bring your sage to a fire ceremony, the smoke carries the prayers, worries, thoughts and wishes, up to the SkyWorld, eliminating heavy hearts and souls. It is deemed to be an important part of the healing process and will give believers a renewed sense of hope, confidence and optimism for the future.


Events like this intrigue me and amaze me. I don’t feel they are meant to indoctrinate people nor minimize other thought processes. This occasion was enlightening and educational, and I applaud our Indigenous people for sharing their traditions, culture, pride, stories and beliefs with strong conviction and loving hearts. 


The closing song of respect, honour, gratitude and encouragement sent us all home feeling somewhat different from how we felt coming in. The event gave us all 'fresh air' to inhale and exhale, in a  comfortable and welcoming outdoor garden setting. 


I believe the non-indigenous in the group, including me, left feeling adequately equipped with enlightening, first hand knowledge that we can share with others whose lives could benefit from a good cleansing — to rid them of stale air, stereotyping and the impact of curriculum that is no longer used; and, for our proud Indigenous people, I believe their resilience and peaceful determination to bring us together at occasions like this,  helps set the pace for a much better future for all of us.


Huy ch q’u. (Pronounced hi-ush-ka) Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts