Pages

Gracely Frugal

 SOMETIMES on rainy days, I sit back with my legs extended above the ground, resting them on a cushioned chair in front of me. With my deliciously hot café mocha in my right hand and my bucket list in my left, I make a plan for the day.


My eyes zero in on a discount store in Langley called McFrugals. A very astute friend recommended it to me because it’s a two thumbs up store for bargain hunters. Besides staying at home and baking up a bunch of delicious treats, I could think of nothing more appealing and diverting than checking out the store.


I checked on line for clear directions. Wrote them down. Jumped into the car, and off I went. Eventually I found the store but the effort reminded me why I don’t like driving in that city nor in its neighbour. Too many signs. Too many add-on streets. Too much traffic. Upon seeing the store sign in a strip mall, I was instantly calm, and then the excitement light went on! I found myself in bargain haven.


More than two hours later, I had scoured the many racks and shelves. The end result was a mound of mixed finds, all encompassing the totality of at least eight Christmas gifts — mostly for the toddlers and a few of the adults, plus a group activity for when we will all be together. I did see a beautiful pair of OshKosh boots for an infant. They were $1.99. The problem was that they were both left feet. You really do have to be very astute when shopping these days!


As I attempted to find my way home, just by chance I spotted the Holland Shopping Centre — a rather small shop, with one lonely clerk. She asked if she could help me find something so I did give her something to do, while I perused the few shelves and bins. No bargain there; but, I did buy licorice root candies and a half dozen double beef croquettes for a special treat on a special week for a special person pretty darn soon. The wait will be worth it.


So, despite the dreary rainy day, it turned out to be metaphorically sunny, and the rest of it will be focused on finding the gift wrap, bows and ribbons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts