Pages

FLEEING THE FLEA MARKET

 FLEEING THE FLEA MARKET



IN Pasadena California, on the second Sunday of every month, on the grounds of the infamous Rose Bowl stadium, over 2500 vendors set up to sell off their unwanted and unusual goods. Thousands of people show up to wander the grounds to peruse the tables, racks and boxes just to find a deal or specific item or just to be there — after all it is dubbed to be “The Greatest Flea Market on Earth.”


My host friend, Joan, set up this outing specifically for me to experience something so extremely different and for her to find a porcelain gravy boat to replace one she accidentally broke at a family member’s special dinner. 


Due to the enormity of the “sale”, we went our separate ways and agreed to meet up an hour later. I managed to walk up and down two very long aisles in the blazing sun, and felt overwhelmed by the numerous used clothing vendors, rusty junk tables and large pieces of furniture, some of which was labeled antique. I just had to flee.


Off I went to the fast food and beverage area near our planned meeting place. I stood in line for a fresh strawberry banana smoothie. As I got closer to the front, I heard the proprietor say she doesn’t accept cash. I groaned and mumbled some words of disappointment. As a foreign traveller I hesitate to use my credit card and travel with foreign currency only. The patron ahead of me heard me and simply said, “don’t worry about it, I will pay for you.” I offered her cash but she simply would not accept any. We engaged in pleasantries as we waited for the order to be filled. We went our separate ways after wishing each other wonderful afternoons.


I stood there stunned and realized this had never before happened to me ever. I turned to see if she might be following me or if someone else was set up to follow me. It was just so strange, yet delightful at the same time. A $12 drink had never tasted so good!


Joan arrived at our meeting place on time looking exhausted and empty handed. She had been in the antiques section but saw no gravy boats. There was still one hopeful area to check so we reconnected a half hour later. No luck. At that point, we had had enough of the heat, the smells, the crowds and the overwhelming ambiance of the set up and decided to head home.


Let’s just say it was an experience I will long remember, but never do again!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts