Pages

CANADA DAY 2024

 

 


WE ARE ALL PEOPLE


MY chosen country turns 157 this weekend. When I was a teenager I can remember how exciting it was to learn 10 million people lived here.  Today, nearly 40 million live here.


A lot has happened since then and I am especially proud of what has been happening on the Indigenous file. I know it is a contentious issue and a difficult one for a certain type of personality, but I continue to hope more people will open their eyes, accept their education was flawed, and realise we do have the ability to step back and figure it out. We are all people.


MY pride in Canada extends to many other things as well: I live comfortably in a quiet neighbourhood and a quiet home. I hear birds chirping every morning and coyotes howling a few times a week . I can easily pick fresh berries seasonally and buy locally produced honey. I can happily breathe in fresh air everyday, and go cycling on flatland anytime when the weather suits me. I always salute democracy and recycling efforts, proudly pay taxes, and steadfastly, but subtly, wear 'proud' on my sleeve. 


Happy CANADA DAY !



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts