Pages

Preserving Friendships

 Celebrating Friendship

August 2023


In a small tri-city area community called Port Moody, there is an interesting, quaint restaurant called Saint Street Grill, located on St. John Street.


When you walk in the front door, you feel surprised and curious, as you stroll through to your reserved table. It feels familiar yet it’s your first time there. The decor is unique and colours are calming. The air is fresh and the staff welcoming.


The menu is especially small, yet the options are varied enough to ensure there is something for every awaiting palate. I enjoyed a halibut dinner with roasted potatoes and vegetables, as did my long time friends Maurine and Tina. We first met about 50 years ago while living on the same street in Burnaby. I was Tina’s softball coach at Wesburn Park and Maurine is her mother. 


It was at that time in my life when I realized I did not like competition and my love of softball was really all about doing something I enjoyed in the spirit of camaraderie and outdoor pleasure. It was also at a time when I started post secondary studies at Simon Fraser University, following a syllabus of studies that needed a great deal of undivided attention. As a result, I left the love of softball behind but always, at least peripherally, kept in touch with Maurine and Tina — two lovely people who understood me then and who understand me now. We have walked together through many of life’s experiences, the ups and the downs, and remain the best of friends despite our busy lives.


I cherish the time we spend together, and having delicious meals, in quaint, eclectic eateries like the Saint Street Grill, where we reminisce and enjoy open, honest discussions, and a great meal including dessert, is definitely a great way to celebrate our lifelong friendship.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts