Pages

IONA CAMPAGNOLO




I had a hard time sleeping last night as I was thinking about death and dying.  The thoughts were triggered by the recent passing of one of my inspirations — a wonderful woman who steadfastly created a trail for others; a person who was a devoted daughter, wonderful mother to two fine women, a grandmother, politician, non-politician, a radio and television show host, a staunch defender of the Indigenous file and friend to indigenous peoples, British Columbia’s Lieutenant Governor and someone who encouraged me in my quest to become a creative writer. Her name: Iona Campagnolo and I met her in 1980. Our paths crossed many times since.


One of the first creative pieces I shared with her was my first self-published short story entitled Ratz Tales.  Years later when she become our Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, Canada, she remembered the main character in the story was architect Francis Rattenbury who was nicknamed Ratz. While living at Government House she was told that the table in her private dining room on the second floor was designed by Rattenbury. She knew I just had to be invited over for a visit. The visit happened and I was so honoured.  That speaks to her character.


I pondered over that experience for a very long time and doing so enabled me to craft a unique poem that described her life then, and also applied to her many years of ongoing life. 


I called the poem The Ivy Sea.  Her initials were I.V.C. and her life unfolded (metaphorically) much like a very healthy ivy plant that reaches great heights. Its arms branch out in many directions, much like a wide open sea, and each remain strong, confident and determined. That describes her character and her spirit. 


GROWING AND GROWING, UP AND DOWN THE ROCK HILL

FINDING A WAY WITH A VERY STRONG WILL

BRANCHING AND REACHING HEIGHTS ONCE UNKNOWN

DEFYING THE ODDS, MOVING ALL ON HER OWN

TENACIOUS AND CAREFUL, DETERMINED TO SPREAD

CONFIDENCE AND VISION, WHILE PASSING THE BREAD

SHE CLIMBS TO THE MOUNTAINS AND DOWN TO THE GROUND

IMPRESSES MANY PEOPLE AND LIVES SAFE AND SOUND

IVY SEA, IVY SEA, LIKE A MOUNTAIN OF WEALTH

WORTHY OF MUCH HAPPINESS AND YEARS OF GOOD HEALTH.


Iona: as you now rest in peace, a state you so richly deserve, thank you for including me in parts of your life; for appreciating the poem, encouraging me, enjoying pub fare and for your lifelong commitment to good citizenship. You have given all of us who know you, have met you and have followed your lifespan, so much nutrition to apply to our own lives; together we all will work hard to keep our own “ivy” seeds growing.


Rest in peace fine lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts