CEDAR, SAGE AND SWEETGRASS
Recently I went to a contemporary Indigenous art exhibit at the Pitt Meadows Art Gallery in Osprey Village.
As we all discover when we attend such events, Indigenous art is vibrant, diverse, metaphoric and deeply rooted in their history and culture. This Cedar Sage and Sweetgrass Collection provides all of the above with many stories about identity, resilience, connection, voices and vision. This exhibit is truly educational, awe-inspiring and brings history to the present.
As per usual, I arrived early on my bicycle and sat outside in the warm Autumn sunshine to listen to the quiet hum of voices coming from the neighbouring park, and the coffee shop across the way. I use these pre-event opportunities to refuel my Qi (internal energy source), and practice my patience in waiting for the doors to open.
Eventually people start to arrive. I notice a familiar face and then another: City of Pitt Meadows Councillors Bob Meachen and Tracy Elke. We have met before and we engaged in conversation about our collective appreciation of the community, and their support of the Art Gallery and the fantastic exhibits. They are both happily running for re-election. I commend them for setting time aside on a Saturday of a long weekend to show their interest and support of Indigenous cultural events.
As I walk into the Gallery, I spot Her Worship Nicole MacDonald and another Councillor, Mike Hayes, happily schmoozing with the thirty or so other guests. I hear the softly playing sounds coming from the guitar of Indigenous musician Vince Starr, as people wandered around the various displays of incredible art work throughout the Gallery.
I like seeing events like this unfold because it is actually a wonderful way to learn about, and better understand, the impact of how we got to this point in our collective history. The once subtle and then substantial impact of colonization by the British was cruel and evil. But, now new generations of people — many of whom have come to settle here to flee from their own repression experiences, have helped to bring out the once hidden pride, confidence, self-esteem and talents of Indigenous peoples. Those experiences, as told by their highly respected elders, are strongly reflected in Indigenous art. It is encouraging to see subsequent generations clearing out negative energies and spreading truths like sweetgrass. Their history is as old as the oldest cedar trees. Their determination is as wise as the cleansing and healing power of sage. All of it symbolizes the potential for growth and collectively moving forward with honour, respect and celebration.
Special events like this are a big part of the collective efforts to bring to light the missing information in the school curriculum many of us have experienced. Open minds and open hearts lead to a level of humanitarianism and compassion that continues to be difficult for some; but, I give my full support to the City of Pitt Meadows, and the Pitt Meadows Art Gallery, for their ongoing and unyielding conscious efforts to be respectful and supportive of the goals of reconciliation and harmony in the lives of all people grazing on this land.
Written by Antoinetta DeWit
September 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment