Pages

WALKING ALONG

 



WALKING ON


I went for an autumn walk the other day to take photos of leaves transitioning to release from their shoots and fall to the ground, so the bare branches can rest and prepare for winter, before restarting the process of re-creating growth for the year ahead. It was a glorious sight of shades of yellows, oranges, greens and reds.


This particular morning I decided to wear casual loafers instead of  sneakers. There was no rhyme nor reason— it just felt like time to bring out some different footwear. Turns out the footwear I chose was a pair of black leather loafers that I am sure I have had, and worn every year in Autumn and Winter, for the past forty years.


I can remember buying the shoes at the bargain rack of a store called Naturalisers. Size 8.5 (41 in European sizes) and half off the last marked price! I loved deals then and I still love deals now!


The store was located in a small strip mall in the Municipality of Burnaby, and I would have taken the Willingdon bus there on a Saturday. That Mall, formerly called Brentwood Mall, is still there but nobody from back then would even recognize it now. It’s become a huge monstrosity of cement and steal, angles and curves, with underground parking and high rise towers, spread out over acres of demolished repossessed homes. It’s packed with oddly named stores and almost nothing remains of its beginnings. It’s quite sad to see my memories being overshadowed by change. 


All I have left to remember that Mall are these shoes. They are black leather and despite walking in rain, sun and sleet, year after year,  they continue to comfort my feet, keep them dry and cozy, and remind me that I really did get a deal that has lasted a lifetime, with still more time to prance around.  They have even walked the many streets of Manhattan and The Netherlands, where they actually encountered snow, ice and rain, in both places, and survived.


From the photo you can see my black leather shoes still look great, despite the frayed tips of the laces and a bit of wear around the toes. The designer clearly loved designing quality shoes. I loved finding the bargain and especially love not feeling the need to pass them on or discard them. They have many stories to tell. They are mine for life!


I enjoy remembering and sharing fun stories like this, and at this spot in my timeline, I am sure no new shoe purchase will ever experience such an  honour.


I’m already looking forward to my next walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts