Pages

HOPCOTT'S BUTCHER, MARKET AND BISTRO

Grounded in Pitt Meadows


Obeying the Provincial Health Officer’s expectation that I stay close to home, during our COVID-19 pandemic, hasn’t turned out to be all that difficult.  Being grounded has opened my eyes, expanded my life experiences, forced me to take stock, purge through my possessions, sell things and give things away, and get on with exploring in my own region. After all, my region has been here for a very long time. It started out small and now has expanded into a very large district of many neighbourhoods, blended but separate, with valleys and peaks, lakes, rivers, streams and ponds, wildlife, parks, golf courses, farms, cycling and walking paths, every shopping option, and some very successful family businesses.


Recently I took the time to find out more about a building I have often passed by in my car or while cycling. I’ve even stopped in from time to time to buy specialty breads and especially good smoked bacon. The place is called HOPCOTT’S Butcher, Market and Bistro, and today I decided it was time to find out more about this family owned local Pitt Meadows business located at 18385 Old Dewdney Trunk Road, at the corner of ODT and Reichenbach about a half kilometre from the Pitt River Bridge.  (See photo below)


The family business started in 1932 with raising Dairy cows and growing corn for feed. They now raise beef and grow cranberries on site, and host an annual family fun corn maze. By 2015, the family diversified their business even more, supporting local farmers and artisans, creating  a full scale kitchen, indoor bistro and outdoor patio. (See photo below)


In addition to being a butcher shop, the inventory includes cheeses, dairy, specialty breads, vegetables, fruits, smoked bacon, ham, corned beef and so much more. It truly is a local success story and a great place to shop or just relax after a good long cycling ride or walk.


Today, however, I want to highlight the outdoor patio. During these trying times and in our collective efforts to obey the provincial health orders, eating outdoors is the new thing to do.  This location is ideal with lots of picnic tables more than six feet apart and an indoor tented area to accommodate patrons during less than ideal weather conditions. 


I don’t know the Hopcott family. I don’t know anyone who works there.  I just know that as a proud local, I am very intrigued and impressed with the ongoing efforts of our local grounded entrepreneurs who work so hard to keep their businesses going and their customers happy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts